HOW TO: MY SISTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

HOW TO: MY SISTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE | MEET ME @ 2AM

Last Tuesday was my sister's 19th Birthday and as usual I was asked to do the birthday cake. I wanted something different from what I'm used to - chocolate cake. I wanted something more challenging and when I saw Joe Sug's tweet about a pinãta cake I decided to look for an easy recipe.
I found several recipes and I decided to go with this one from asda recipes. If you want to know how I did it, just keep reading. 

Ingredients for the Cake:          
350g unsalted butter, softned;
350g caster sugar;
6 large eggs;
350g self raising flower; 

Ingredients for the Icing: 
450g unsalted butter;
900g icing sugar;
1tsp vanilla extract;
1 or 2 bottles of food coloring;
1 pack of sweets of your choice; 

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C;
  2. Grease the base of the tins - this works best with at least a 3 layered cake, meaning you're going to need 3 different bases;
  3. Mixed the unsalted butter and the caster sugar until it looks light and creamy;
  4. One a time, poor the eggs into the mixer, beating well between additions. With the last two eggs, add spoonful of floor and mixed well; 
  5. Poor the rest of the flower in to the mixer and let it stay until everything is mixed together; 
  6. Divide evenly between the tins and bake for 25 to 35 minutes - depending on the oven you use; After that let them cool in the kitchen balcony and start making the icing;
  7. Mix unsalted butter and mixed it with the icing sugar, vanilla and 4 tbsp of water using a wooden spoon until the icing sugar is mixed in. Then switch to the electric mixer until it looks light and creamy;
  8. Slice the cold cakes through the middle horizontally until you have your desired layers - it will depend on how many tins you used; 
  9. Place them on top of each other with a layer of butter cream between them, leaving the top on the side. 
  10. Cut a hole in the middle of the those layers - 10cm - and place the candy of choice inside - I choose gums because they are my sister's favorites. Spread a layer of butter cream and top with the last layered left; 
  11. Using the food coloring, divide evenly the butter cream in cups and mixed them together until you have the desired color; 
  12. Then spread the butter cream with the help of a knife or if your good with a pipping bag, use that instead, create different layers of different colors until you reach the top. 
  13. Decorate the top the way you most please and you're done! 
It may seem a lot to do, but it's actually quiet easy! If you're not comfortable doing this only by reading you have incredible tutorials on Youtube that will guide you through the whole process.
I love baking and this was a great challenge and I can't wait to do it all over again ahah

Have you tried to do this cake before? 
If so, how did it went? 
Let me know in the comments below!

See you on my next post,
Ana Leote

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet coments.
I'll reply to every single of them on the blog and I'll visit yours imeddiatly after I see your messagem.

If you need to have a more direct contact with me just email me analeotevm@gmail.com and I'll try and help you.

© MEET ME @ 2AM
Design:Maira Gall.